Rainy Day Bobby Flay California Burger

So, I had all of the fixings for a yummy burger courtesy my secret crush Bobby Flay.  The plan was to have Dan grill, but the weather did not cooperate.  However, I made these inside tonight and they were YUMMY.  It is all about the avocado spread (aka guacamole).  For the original recipe click here, I tweaked a few things.

Burgers
1/2 lb ground turkey
1/2 lb lean ground beef
3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
salt and pepper to taste
4 slices cheddar cheese
tomato, sliced
watercress

Avocado Relish
2 avocados, chopped
1/2 diced small onion
juice of 1 lime (taste after put in half)
salt and pepper to taste
(the recipe calls for 1 minced jalapeno which I didn't think my 2 year would appreciate and 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro which I HATE with a passion)

Mix turkey burger and lean ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.
Shape into a uniform patty, no more than 3/4 inch thick (don't overwork the meat). Make a depression in the center with your thumb so the burger won't bulge; the indent will rise as the patty cooks. Preheat a grill or cast-iron grill pan to high. Brush the burger with canola oil Grill until golden brown and slightly charred, turning once (7 minutes for medium-rare). Avoid pressing with a spatula! Add cheese for the last minute of cooking. (since I was inside, I browned the patties in a skillet with corn oil, then baked in oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.  Mix remaining ingredients together for avocado spread.  Top burger with avocado relish, watercress, and tomato slice. Serve on toasted buns. 

Photograph by Steve Giralt

1 comment: