Flint Michigan Coney Island Dogs

So I am originally from Michigan but I have spent most of my life in Kansas.  We are planning a trip in July to visit family and to celebrate our trip I invited my truly Michganer parents over for some Coney Island dogs, which actually came from Michigan.  I choose to make the Flint sauce as opposed to the Detroit version, which is much soupier than Flint's.  I got this recipe from Recipezaar, Chef Larz in Pennsborro, WV. Every one seemed to like it, especially my husband who scarfed down 2 dogs before I was half way done with my one.  This recipe should be used with Koegel hotdogs, which you can't get around here.  I used Finestil Das Coney dogs made in Emporia Kansas which I found at Dillons.  They are not exactly Koegel, but they are in the casing, which made them better than most.  

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon margarine
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
2 medium onions, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 (6 ounce) can water (I used more than this based on how thick I wanted it)
12 ounces skinless hot dogs
salt and pepper

Do not brown ground beef before using.  Combine all ingredients except hot dogs and simmer until thick.  Grind the hot dogs very fine (or chop fine in food processor) stir in to beef mixture and cook 15 minutes longer.  Serve over good casing hot dogs with chopped onion and mustard.  

No comments:

Post a Comment