Baked Rotini

I got this recipe off of the website momswhothink.com. I have gotten some new ideas from that site. This is Johnny Marzetti's Casserole. I changed it up a little bit, but the majority of it is from that site. I am trying to do low carb, low fat cooking as much as I can, which I know sounds like an impossible feat. Ever since I was diagnosed with diabetes, I have really been trying to change up traditional recipes to make them more what I need them to be. This was a hit with my husband and 2 year old.

12 ounces rotini pasta (about 4½ cups)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1 onion, minced
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tsp dried parsley
2 tsp garlic salt
pepper and salt to taste
1 pound ground turkey
½ pound bulk sausage
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
3 cups shredded Italian cheese blend

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9 inch baking dish. Cook pasta according to package and drain. Meanwhile, saute garlic, celery, onion, and pepper until tender (5-10 minutes). Stir in oregano, basil, dried parsley, pepper, and garlic salt. Add turkey and sausage and cook (breaking up large pieces) until all brown. Stir in diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat. Layer pasta, 1 cup of the Italian cheese blend, meat mixture, and top with remaining cheese. Cover dish with heavy aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes; until the sauce is bubbling. Remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes until the top is slightly browned. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

*I used Dreamfields pasta for this dish. We really like this, and it only has 5 grams of digestible carbs. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

1 comment: