Thanksgiving in August

I was feeling inspired from the farmers market and their huge sweet potatoes that they had.  Nothing screams sweet potato like a big Thanksgiving dinner, so I decided to make it in August.  Being that the heat outside has made me absolutely miserable, I was attempting to confuse myself with food, which worked a bit.  For those of you that know my recent surgical endeavors you know that I cannot eat very much right now, but if I could I think I would have eaten myself into a coma just like on Thanksgiving!  First I baked a 20 lb Carvers ham for 4 hours at 325.  We also had mashed sweet potatoes and scalloped corn.  Granted this was for 7 of us (my troop and my folks).  Yummy!

Mashed Sweet Potatoes
About 7 small-medium sweet potatoes
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tsp kosher salt

Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into about 1 inch pieces.  Boil until tender, about 20 mins.  Drain and return to pot.  Let the butter melt on top of the potatoes.  Add remaining ingredients and mash with a potato masher or mixer. 

Scalloped Corn
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can creamed corn
1 package Jiffy Corn Bread mix
1 stick butter, melted
2 eggs
8 oz. sour cream
2 heaping teaspoons sugar

Mix all of the ingredients until smooth.  Pour into 8x8 baking dish (or any smaller ceramic baking dish).  Bake at 350 until metal knife inserted in middle comes out clean.  This ranges for me based on what dish I am using, but it usually takes at least an hour.  Sorry for the vagueness, today it took closer to 90 mins because I baked it at a lower heat with the ham.  This is also good with honey drizzled over the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment