Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

We have a new addition to one of our favorite families.  Roger, Jenny, and Wyatt Adams welcomed Owen into the world this Friday.  So, to celebrate I am making the new mama chicken noodle soup, pretty much from scratch.  I don't have a noodle maker so those are not from scratch, but I made my own broth, and since I usually add cream of mushroom soup to my chicken soup to make it creamy, I made my own cream of mushroom soup as well.  Needless to say this was a 2 day process.  I also made homemade croutons for the soup.  I made an insane amount because it will be our dinner as well, and I can always freeze it.  I don't really have a recipe for most of this, just throw stuff together, but I will list what I did... 

Chicken Broth

Bones and skin from 3 roasted chickens (use the meat for the soup)
3-4 carrots, peeled and chopped into large pieces
3-4 stalks of celery, cut into large pieces
1 onion, cut into large pieces

Place all in large stock pot.  Cover with water.  Simmer on medium heat for 5-6 hours, skimming any fat off the top every hour or so.  Strain broth through colander using cheese cloth.

Cream of Mushroom Soup (adapted from Taste of Homes)

6 cups mushrooms, roughly chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
6 tbls flour
2 tbls butter
4 cups milk
12 oz (1 and 1/2 packages) cream cheese
1 cup beef broth

Saute mushrooms and onion in butter in large pan until tender.  Add flour and stir until dissolved.  Slowly add milk and beef broth, stirring until boiling and thickened.  Add cream cheese and stir until melted.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Makes about 6 cups.  


Soup
Chicken Stock(see above)
Additional water
Chicken from 3 roasted chickens
carrots
celery
onion
cream of mushroom soup (see above)
Amish egg noodles

I hate to put numbers on this recipe because it is really up to the cook.  If you like more broth, add less veggies and chicken.  If you like it creamier, add more cream of mushroom soup.  It is really up to taste at this point.  I dump it all in a  stock pot and let it cook all day.  Add the mushroom soup a closer to the end, you don't want to curdle the milk.  Yummy!!!

1 comment:

  1. As one of the VERY grateful recipients of this dish, I must comment. Quite simply, it was outstanding. The stock was deep with flavor, loads of chicken, and yummy noodles with every bite. Oh, and love! It was evident on the first bite that this soup was made with love. Thanks again Kelli!

    ReplyDelete