Chicken and Black Bean Empandas

My husband had his 30th birthday Friday and I decided to make a Mexican/Spanish themed menu instead of the staple bbq for his party.  I have to say, it all was pretty good, but the biggest hit of the night were the empanadas.  They were super yummy.  They were a little time consuming since I was making a big batch, but not difficult and well worth it.  Everyone's favorite.  It is a Paula Dean recipe I found in a recent magazine.  Thanks Paula!!

Empanadas
1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
1 can black beans, drained but not rinsed
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 pkg refrigerated pie crust
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Chipotle Dipping Sauce
1 cup mayonaise
1 cup whole buttermilk
1 pkg buttermilk salad dressing mix
1-2 tsp adobo sauce from chipotle peppers

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.  In large bowl, combine chicken, beans, Mexican cheese, cream cheese, salt, and pepper.  Place pie crust on flour surface and cut into rounds, using a 3 inch cookie cutter.  Place 1 heaping tablespoon of the chicken mixture in the center of each round.  Fold the dough over the filling, pressing the edges together with a fork to seal.  Brush each with beaten egg using a party brush.  Bake 17-18 minutes or until golden brown (mine took longer).  For dip, mix mayo, buttermilk, dressing mix, and adobo sauce.  Chill for at least 1 hour.  Serve with warm empanadas.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly! This sounds delicious! I do believe Paula Deen is an evil genius. Happy birthday to Dan! Wish we could have been there. I am glad I found your blog- maybe it wil give me the push I need to start doing more cooking...

    -Emily Tamblyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, these were totally amazing. Thanks for the recipe and a great party!

    ReplyDelete